Sunday, March 22, 2015

Genesis 19 & Being Totally Confused about the Definition of "Wicked"

So day 18 of my reading plan takes me through Genesis 19-21, and since I have so many thoughts about each chapter I've decided to split up my posts about them over the next three days. So today it's chapter 19 when we learn about the destruction of the cities of Sodom and Gomorrah.

One thing I noticed was this is the first instance of homosexuality in the Bible. The angels make their way to Sodom where they are greeted by Lot whom convinces the angels to sleep at his home instead of in the city square like they had originally planned. When the angels are inside Lot's home, all the men in Sodom demand Lot to give them the angels for sex. I find it really interesting that homosexuality, in this particular story, is associated with wickedness.

One of the reasons I'm reading the Bible is to gain an opinion about topics that I'm currently unsure about, and my views on homosexuality fall into that category. I've struggled with how I think of it. From what I've heard from super religious people is that homosexuality is a sin, "and it says so in the Bible." I've never been sure if I really believe that; I'm reading the Bible to find out for myself. And I want to believe that the Bible says nothing about hating a person for their sexual orientation, but this first mention of it is giving me a negative view. I don't like it either; I want to believe that God doesn't hate the gays despite what people say. I'm eager to read more about the Bible's stance on homosexuality, and I'm praying for understanding about this heated topic that is a huge part of today's society.

Something else that really peaked my curiosity in Genesis 19: why is Lot spared by God? Why did God see him as righteous? I mean, he was completely willing to give his daughters' virginity to the men of Sodom. He was fine with sacrificing his daughters for, essentially, strangers. What?! So why was he spared? Well, God remembered Abraham, and that's why he saved Lot and his family. (Ge 19: 29) But I just don't understand it. As far as I'm concerned, Lot was just as bad as all the citizens of Sodom and Gomorrah, and he didn't really deserved to be saved. I know God made a covenant with Abraham to always be his God and all of his descendants' God, but still...

And then Lot's daughters! After the family fled from Sodom, they eventually settled in a cave out in the middle of no where. Lot's daughters were worried they would never have families of their own, so they got their dad hammered drunk beyond belief then basically raped him so they could get pregnant. Again, why did God spare these people?!

Also, Lot and his family were instructed not to look back at Sodom as it was being destroyed, but Lot's wife couldn't resist, and she looked back. And she was turned to a pillar of salt. I understand that she disobeyed God's command, and this was her punishment, but at first, I wasn't sure why God was so adamant that the family not look back. My explanation: when God is leading us away from wickedness, there is no need to look back on it. We must trust that God is leading us to something better than what we had even if we're apprehensive. Looking back will only keep us from moving forward.

*****

What do you think about this first mention of homosexuality? Do the circumstances bother you, or do you simply accept it for what it is? Do you have any advice about approaching potential conflicts between the Word of God and present-day societal tensions?

And why do you think Lot and his family were spared despite their own wickedness? Were they actually righteous, or is this simply a favor to Abraham?

Also, what lesson did you learn from Lot's wife being turned to salt? Why is God so adamant about Lot and his family not looking back on the destruction of Sodom and Gomorrah?

No comments:

Post a Comment