Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Job 29-31 & Pride

These chapters include Job defending himself one last time. I mean, as if he really needs to. All I've read for the past week and a half is Job defending himself, but nonetheless, for the last time Job is making his final speech in defense of his actions.
Chapter 29 is all about Job reminiscing on the good ole days. He reflects on life before his trial. He was respected. Younger men felt that they couldn't be seen in his presence, and older men stood when he entered the room. And he helped the needy - providing clothes to the naked, giving food to the hungry, standing up for the meek. There's no denying the Job is a standup guy. And Job is very proud of himself for all the good he's done.
Then in chapter 30 Job is describing how things are now. Ever since all this bad stuff as been happening to him, no one respects him anymore. People humiliate him in public. They're disgusted with him. All of the people who used to look up to Job no longer want anything to do with him. #EgoBlow
And then in chapter 31 Job once again states that he has done no wrong. He knows he is righteous. But he also says that if he has sinned, then he deserves punishment. He deserves pain and suffering.
More so in these chapters than before, I notice just how much pride Job has. I mean, he's kinda boastful. I guess I would be, too, if I was as righteous as Job, but still... Pride is one of the seven deadly sins, and here we see just how prideful Job is. We know Job isn't being punished for wrongdoing because God, himself, says Job is righteous. But we do know he's being tried, and I know that through trial we grow more mature in our faith. We learn lessons from trial, and I'm just going to assume that Job gets a lesson in humility because he needs it.

I also couldn't help but notice some allusions to the 10 Commandments in Job 31. "I made a covenant with my eyes not to look lustfully at a young woman." (Job 31:1) That sounds an awful lot like "Thou shalt not covet my neighbor's wife." Job 31:24-28 seem to have some references to having only one God and not coveting your neighbor's goods. Maybe I'm looking too far into this, but it's hard not to see some parallels.

*****

Pride seems to be the deadly sin that affects Job. With what deadly sin(s) do you struggle, and how do you overcome it(them)?

No comments:

Post a Comment