Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Job 32-42 & The Moral of the Story

I finished Job! The Book of Job is the first Book of the Bible that I've actually read all the way through. It's one Book that I feel like I can speak on with some authority now. I feel accomplished. For someone who's never read the Bible - maybe only 10 verses at most throughout my whole life - having one Book under my belt feels so good. But anyway...
The Book of Job ends with Elihu speaking first. I have no idea where Elihu came from, but regardless, he's there, and he's got some things to say. Elihu is younger than Job and his friends, but he makes it clear that he needs to speak. Oh yeah, and Elihu thinks he is the end-all-be-all of godly wisdom. So Elihu speaks, and he pretty much repeats what EBZ have already said. Elihu, too, is convinced Job has sinned and that he needs to repent.
After Elihu, God finally jumps in. I guess He's just over all the bad advice. And He comes in like a thunderstorm. And, in a nutshell, God is displeased with all the men. (Except for Elihu, which is weird.) But God is mad at EBZ for giving crappy advice to Job, and He's mad at Job for thinking He is unjustified in allowing hardship to fall upon Job. Then God makes it clear how much knowledge He has; He makes clear the power he possesses over our world. Basically, God makes it very clear that we are nothing without Him - that He has knowledge and wisdom that us mortals could not even begin to comprehend. 
Realizing God's power, Job repents for underestimating God, for suggesting that He has no business in harming him. Job realizes just how small he is compared to God. I feel like this sounds kinda negative, but actually, this is a HUGE humbling experience for Job, a man who was so proud before but now realizes nothing would be possible without God. 
Then God accepts Job's apology. And He forces EBZ to give offerings to Job and asks Job to pray for his friends. They all do what they're supposed to, and all is forgiven. Then Job gets back his awesome life and lives happily ever after. The end.
First of all, why does Elihu give this long speech - literally, it's like six chapters long - but then is never once addressed by God? I'm really confused as to the significance of Elihu and why he was part of this story at all. He didn't offer any profound wisdom. What is his purpose? I noticed in the final chapter that EBZ must give offerings to Job because they offered such terrible counsel. But Elihu also gave poor counsel, and he didn't have to do anything.

The only thing that I can think is that perhaps Elihu didn't have to give offerings because of his intentions. I always thought EBZ were a bunch of jerks, and their motivations for helping Job seemed more selfish. But Elihu seemed like he really wanted to help Job. He wasn't just irritated with Job but also with EBZ. He thought they were all wrong. So even though his advice was misguided, it came from a good place. That's the only explanation I can come up with as to why Elihu didn't have to give offerings, but I could be TOTALLY wrong. I have no idea.

I also thought it was interesting that Job had more kids after this whole ordeal. And not just that, but he had three daughters. AND his daughters got inheritance after Job died many, many years later. I'm not sure if this is significant in anyway, but it stuck out to me - that it was worthwhile enough to mention in the Book of Job. It's just one of those things that I hope will help me better understand my role as a woman as I continue reading God's Word.

And also this verse:

"Surely I spoke of things I did not understand,
things too wonderful for me to know." (Job 42:3)

Job was a proud man, y'all. To say something like that, Job had to have a massive piece of humble pie. 

If anything, the Book of Job teaches us about the power of God. We really are nothing compared to Him. And maybe that makes us feel small for a moment, but it also makes me feel so protected and cared for. I have an almighty God, a God full of wisdom and knowledge. And He's on my side! He wants me to be close to Him, to have faith in Him, to trust Him. If I can do that, I know He will bless me in one way or another. I feel empowered to know He stands with me, but I'm so incredibly humbled to know that I'm powerless without Him. Humility is such an important character trait, but so few people have it. I'm praying that I'll be able to always remain humble.

Oh! And the animals! In chapters 40 and 41 there are two animals that are described. When I first read I didn't really pick up on these animals. I have no idea what I was paying attention to, but I guess I was off in LaLa Land. But then I read my commentary and realized I missed something, so I went back to reread, and oh my gosh! So first, we're introduced to the Behemoth. The commentary said this may have been a hippo, which I can see. But then we have the Leviathan, which takes up the entirety of chapter 41. The commentary suggested this might be an extinct ancestor of the crocodile, but it sounds wayyyyyyyy worse than a crocodile. Y'all, this animal sounds like a mutant crocodile-shark-dragon-Godzilla-dinosaur creature. It's freaky. I'm sure whoever wrote Job didn't think twice when they wrote about this thing, but those of us here in 2015 are going WHAT! THE! HECK! At least I am... Read Job 41, and tell me you aren't completely terrified.

*****

Why do you think Elihu was spared of God's punishment? Why do you think he is significant to the story of Job and this Book of the Bible? Do you think Elihu's intentions were better than those of EBZ, or do you think he was no different than the three stooges?

And what do you think about Job's daughters at the end of the story? Why do you think it is mentioned that they received inheritance? Is there anything to be learned from this seemingly small detail?

Also, how do you feel about humility? How do you remain humble when all you want to feel is proud? When is it okay to be proud, if ever? Tell me about the biggest piece of humble pie you've ever eaten.

And lastly, what about the animals?! What are your impressions of the Behemoth and the Leviathan? Do they really stick out to you, or have you never paid them much mind?

No comments:

Post a Comment