Monday, September 28, 2015

Leviticus 19-27

Today I finished the Book of Leviticus, which means I've now read four books of the Bible - Genesis, Job, Exodus, and Leviticus. I started reading the Bible seven and a half months ago, and I'm proud of myself for continuing with it all this time. This has been something I've wanted to do for several years, and I'm glad that I've finally started this journey.

In these last chapters of Leviticus, the chapter that sticks out to me most is Leviticus 22 - particularly the section entitled "Unacceptable Sacrifices." Y'all know that I keep up with an additional commentary website along with my readings, and I've kept repeating what that commentary says in my posts here on A Coffee Date with God - that Christians need not be bound by Mosaic law. And though I've struggled somewhat with accepting that thought due to the fact that I haven't read any of the New Testament, I'm still reading with that idea in mind.

But even though Believers don't necessarily need to worry with Mosaic law, the introspective side of me is convinced that there are plenty of lessons to be learned from the Israelites. There are still relevant messages within the laws and rules and regulations that God gave to the Israelites. And in Leviticus 22 I happened upon a lesson all on my own. This lesson isn't necessarily new news. I've known it pretty much my whole life, but one of the reasons I'm reading the Bible is to understand the religious teachings I've been fed all growing up for myself. I want to see where they are located in God's Word; I want to read Biblical stories and understand their messages first hand. I want to, in a sense, discover them for myself. (Or I guess "rediscover" might be a more literal way to put it.)

The section on unacceptable sacrifices in Leviticus 22 gave me an "aha" moment when it clicked that the animal sacrifices that the Israelites had to give to God are very much a metaphor for what Christians must give God today.

God wouldn't accept animals with defect as sacrifices - no three-legged lambs, no blind birds, no infertile goats. God would only accept the best of a person's flock. And while reading Mosaic law I've been thinking, "I bet there were some Israelites who were really bummed that they had to give up their prime stock. And why would God want to take their best anyway?" I know that's selfish to think, but it's human to think it, so it crossed my mind.

But then that lesson came in: I shouldn't want to give God anything less than my absolute best. He is my God! God - the Almighty Father who gave me life and loves me more than I could ever imagine. God - the One who allowed His only son to be crucified for me. Why ON EARTH would I want to give Him the part of my flock that I don't want for myself? And why should God, the Creator, be tolerant of me not giving Him the best I have to offer? He deserves my praise and love without any defect or blemish or imperfection. He deserves the best goat I can find. And after having this "aha" moment, I see how much I want to give Him that goat.

So even though Believers don't actually need to give an animal sacrifice anymore, the lesson learned here is still valuable. It's a lesson I can pass down to my future children one day. I can explain to them, because I've read it for myself, that God wanted the best goat from the Israelites as a sacrifice to Him after He led them out of Egypt, just like He wants our best love as a sign of our faith in Him today.

And then moving on to the final chapters of Leviticus... In Leviticus 26, the rewards for obedience and punishments for disobedience are outlined. Why the Israelites would do anything but obey is totally beyond me, but apparently, later on, they go back to their golden calf days and disobey God despite everything He has done for them. Dumbs. But something interesting that was pointed out in my commentary, eternal life is not a reward for obedience. Mosaic law wasn't given as a means to Heaven or righteousness, only as a way to receive blessings from God while on Earth and a way to govern the people of Israel.

The commentary then made reference to something that was said all the way back in Genesis 15:6.

"Abram believed the LORD, and he credited it to him as righteousness."

The way to get to Heaven, to eternal life, is not through following a bunch of laws, but by simply having faith in the Lord - by believing in Him and knowing His Truth.

I'm thankful to have found some Bible commentary that I can understand and that makes sense to me. Despite wanting to learn everything the Bible can teach me for myself, I'm not ignorant enough to think I can learn it all - especially in my first read-through. So I'm glad I've found something that proves itself to be trustworthy and enlightening.

No comments:

Post a Comment