Monday, November 2, 2015

Numbers 1-13

The Books of Numbers is exactly what it says it is - a book of numbers. Chapter 1 begins with a census of the Israelites, and the subsequent chapters are just more and more numbers. So far, I'm seeing that Numbers is all about logistics. How the Israelites, in a very mathematical way, managed their camp. Who was responsible for what. Which tribes were to camp next to each other. When the camp moved, the order in which the tribes would leave camp. There's not much else to say other than it's all about the numbers.

We still get a little bit in the way of rules and regulations - how the Israelites are to govern themselves. But all in all, it's about the numbers of the nation of Israel. But with its dullness, I still kinda like the Book of Numbers. We're given a much more concrete idea of what Israel looked like before entering Canaan. We get a clearer picture of everyone's responsibilities. I've always kinda liked logistics. I enjoy planning things. I enjoy finding logical ways to solve puzzles or to make the seemingly impossible, possible. Numbers indulges that side of me.

But I didn't start really getting something out of the Book of Numbers until chapter 12 when Miriam and Aaron, who are the sister and brother of Moses, oppose Moses and question why he gets to be "the special one." Well, this opposition upsets God and he reminds Miriam and Aaron who the real boss is. And this is when I also see that Moses is much, much more than your average prophet.

"When there is a prophet among you,
I, the Lord, reveal myself to them in visions,
I speak to them in dreams.
But this is not true of my servant Moses;
he is faithful in all my house.
With him I speak face to face,
clearly and not in riddles;
he sees the form of the Lord." (Nu 12:6-8)

This is huge! Moses actually saw God. In real life. In real time. Up until now, I didn't think anyone who had ever walked Earth had actually seen God. But apparently Moses did. He saw "the form of the Lord." Moses was a special kind of person. Reading these verses showed just how important Moses was not just to the Israelites, but to God himself. 

And then in chapter 13, something else jumped out at me. Remember the Nephilim from Genesis 6? They make their second appearance in this chapter!

"We saw the Nephilim there (the descendants of Anak come from the Nephilim). We seemed like grasshoppers in our own eyes, and we looked the same to them." (Nu 13:33)

I'm still so confused about the Nephilim. Who are they? Or what are they? This chapter in Numbers suggests these people are giants. A different kind of people. I'd still love to hear thoughts on what you think the Nephilim are, so please, share in the comments. 

No comments:

Post a Comment