Monday, September 14, 2015

Leviticus 16-18

I was excited when I got to the Book of Leviticus because it's been quoted a lot lately - particularly in relation to homosexuality and gay marriage just recently becoming legal nationwide. If y'all remember, one of the big reasons I'm reading the Bible is because I'm tired of not having my own opinion on my religion. I've been told long enough what to think based on what other people believe the Bible says, but I think it's about time I find out for myself. So with a lot of references to this particular book - and even more specifically, to Leviticus 18 - I was excited to really get my own handle on what the Bible says on this matter.

But first, Leviticus 16, which describes the Day of Atonement. Basically, it's a ritual performed once a year to make atonement for all the sins of the Israelites. After a little more research, I realized that this day is known as Yom Kippur for Jews nowadays. I have a handful of Jewish friends, so whenever Jewish holidays come around, I'm happy for them, but that's been the end of it. I've never really known these holidays' significances. But now I see why Yom Kippur is such a big deal. Reading the Bible is not just teaching me about my own religion, but it's giving me some enlightenment into the religion of so many others.

I then get to Leviticus 17, and this is when I really started to get on board with the idea that Christians don't follow Mosaic law. In this chapter, I really started to notice that God was addressing the Israelites through all of this. He's talking to them. He's not talking to Believers today; He was talking to the people who had just been led out of Egypt and desperately needed His guidance in order to govern themselves and to prepare to be led back into the Promised Land. I'm understanding for myself at this point that the Bible was written for us but not to us.

But then I get to Leviticus 18, and I'm feeling good about the whole "Believers don't follow Mosaic law" thing, and I know what's coming next. I know this chapter leads to that infamous verse, Leviticus 18:22, that has been quoted who knows how many times. So after reading, I check with my commentary, and everything seems to contradict! But I know the Bible doesn't contradict, and after several days of really thinking about this particular chapter and how it differs from the rest of the laws, and after consulting an old friend whose judgment I trust in regards to the Bible and God's Word, I think I've finally found the Truth.

Throughout all of the other books and chapters in the Old Testament, God is simply speaking to the Israelites. He's giving them every law and rule He has so that His people can be prosperous once they reach Canaan. He's telling them what's clean and what's unclean, but never once did God mention other lands (like he does in Leviticus 18), and never once did God seem as though He was personally offended and disgusted with certain behaviors (like He is in Leviticus 18). Leviticus 18:3 says,

"You must not do as they do in Egypt, where you used to live, and you must not do as they do in the land of Canaan, where I am bringing you. Do not follow their practices." 

I read this as God not just saying here are your laws that you are to follow. This is God specifically saying that these nations, who are not being given Mosaic law and are not asked to practice it, are doing things that God personally hates. It's as though all of the laws given in Leviticus 18 are so because God has actually seen these practices happen, and He has decided that He hates them and that these practices defile the land and that He does not want His people doing them.

After giving all of His laws in verses 6 through 23, God then says in Leviticus 18:24-25 and Leviticus 18:27-28,

"Do not defile yourselves in any of these ways, because this is how the nations that I am going to drive out before you became defiled. Even the land was defiled; so I punished it for its sin, and the land vomited out its inhabitants."

and

"...for all these things were done by the people who lived in the land before you, and the land became defiled. And if you defile the land, it will vomit you out as it vomited out the nations that were before you."

Again, this is further proof that these nations are being kicked out by the Israelites because of these "detestable" practices. They aren't being kicked out because they ate shellfish or because their houses are moldy; they are being kicked out because of the practices discussed in Leviticus 18 - incest, human sacrifices, homosexuality, and bestiality. Long before God even came to Moses, these practices were being done, and God did not like it. And because of it, I think it is safe to assume that God doesn't like it now either. 

Whereas the laws and rules given up until this point I see as really just ways to have a peaceful, orderly society and some sense of public health and safety (which we don't necessarily need now because of scientific/medical advances), the laws in Leviticus 18 are just wrong. The tone of Leviticus 18 is much different from other chapters. I read it much more stern and serious and crucial that these particular laws are followed. I mean, the people of Egypt and Canaan are being associated with vomit. It can't get much worse than that.

I'd also like to mention, that if an Israelite were to sin by doing something outside of the laws in Leviticus 18, there was a way for that Israelite to repent and be made "clean" again. Through sacrifice, a sin could be forgiven by God. But not the sins in Leviticus 18.

"Everyone who does any of these detestable things - such persons must be cut off from their people." Leviticus 18:29

Notice there is no mention of sacrifice here. There are no second chances if an Israelite commits any of the sins in Leviticus 18. He is simply cut off from his people, and that's the end of it.

Leviticus 18 is hard to digest. Of course, it's not saying to hate the people who practice these things but to hate the practice itself. But nonetheless it's still a tough pill to swallow. God says what He means and means what He says. And it's clear to me now that the things mentioned in Leviticus 18 are held at a different standard. They are much more serious. As my friend explained it to me, these practices actually offend the character of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment