Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Genesis 2-3 & Gender Roles

"Day 1" of my reading plan included the first three chapters of Genesis. Yesterday I wrote about Genesis 1, and today I'm finishing up with my thoughts on Genesis 2-3. These chapters explained the stories of Adam and Eve and the Fall.

Genesis 2 - Adam and Eve

Observation

In chapter two, we learn how God created Adam "from the dust on the ground and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life, and the man became a living being." (Ge 2:7) We also learn about Eden - what it looks like and its geographical location. God also gave Adam one commandment: "You are free to eat from any tree in the garden; but you must not eat from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, for when you eat from it you will certainly die." (Ge 2:16-17)

We then see how God wanted Adam to have a helper, and after Adam could find no suitable helper in any creature that God had already brought into existence, God "made a woman from the rib he had taken out of [Adam]." (Ge 2:22) Adam then calls her "woman" and "that is why a man leaves his father and mother and is united to his wife, and they become one flesh." (Ge 2:24) And by the way, that verse has to be one of my favorites from the first three chapters of Genesis.

Interpretation

After reading the story of Adam and Eve and doing some additional research on its message, I've realized how equal men and women are. And I realize that mankind was purposely created by God to be different than all other living creatures. We were created in his likeness, and we were created in a way that we could know Him.

"So God created mankind in his own image,
in the image of God he created them;
male and female he created them." (Ge 1:27)

That's a huge honor, you know? But I've also come to find out that a lot of people believe the story of Adam and Eve implies that men have superiority over women. Excuse me, what? Where do people get that? Yes, God says he wants to make a suitable helper for Adam, but I read that as Adam can't take care of Eden on his own and that it will take two. So Eve was created to help Adam take care of Eden as an equal partner, not someone to take orders.

Apparently some people argue, too, that men are above women because Adam, the man, was created first. But that's silly because if order of creation meant anything then the plants would be rulers of everything, which is obviously is not true.

But then I saw an interpretation that the stories of creation and Adam and Eve are not about who has authority over whom or anything of the sort. But these stories are more about the journey from incompleteness to completeness. And I really like that interpretation - Adam was not complete without Eve. I can get on board with that.

Genesis 3 - The Fall

Observation

The story of how Adam and Eve really messed up. A serpent basically convinced Eve that God was wrong and that the fruit on the tree of knowledge of good and evil was perfectly fine. So Eve ended up eating the fruit and then gave some to Adam who also ate the fruit. Immediately, Adam and Eve realize they're naked and are ashamed and end up hiding from God. Then eventually they reveal themselves to God and explain what happened - that a serpent deceived Eve so she ate from the tree and that Adam listened to his wife and also ate from the tree.

God gets really furious at this. He curses the serpent above all other animals and forces the snake to slither on its belly, and "I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and hers; he will crush your head, and you will strike his heel." (Ge 3:15) Eve's punishment was to have really awful childbearing (thanks, Eve), and "your desire will be for your husband, and he will rule over you." (Ge 3:16) And Adam's punishment was to forever have to work hard and through pain for his food. And, oh yeah, Adam will now have to die.

Then Adam officially names Eve 'Eve,' and God gives the couple garments to cover themselves and banishes them from the Garden of Eden and guards Eden with a flaming sword so Adam and Eve can't get to the tree of life.

Interpretation

This is where I start having a hard time with the whole "men rule over women" thing. Eve's punishment was to have Adam rule over her. It doesn't get any more straightforward than that. But I also can't believe that is how life is supposed to be now. I can't imagine that was God's intention because Eve then becomes the mother of all the living. I feel like that has to be a positive thing, right? I'm not sure, but I'm hoping all of this will be explained later on or at least have a clearer message because this is a big question mark for me.

I also understand that the story of the Fall shows that God gave us free will - the ability to choose. But with free will, God expects to choose to have faith in Him and to listen to Him. He expects us to choose good over evil essentially. You know, don't eat the fruit. 

Adam was also punished for listening to his wife. Maybe I'm reading too far into this, but I kinda see that as an example for how marriage should be. The Word very clearly explains that because Eve was "bone of [Adam's] bone and flesh of [Adam's] flesh" (Ge 2:23) that this is why we leave our parents to be united as one flesh with our spouse. But even though we are one with our spouse, we still must put God above all else in marriage because even a spouse can be a temptation. If God is first however, that is if both spouses are actively seeking and following God, then they're marriage will be good as God intended. Does that make sense, or I am reading between the lines entirely too much?

Genesis 2-3 Application

So how do I apply what I've learned here? First and foremost, I have to be able to recognize temptation and not give in to it. I'm hoping that now that I've read these stories for myself that I'll be able to be more aware of the temptations in life, of the things that lead me away from God. I think that's a pretty easy lesson to take away from these chapters.

But I'm also questioning my position as a woman in a relationship. How exactly does God want marriage and relationships to work? In chapter two, everything is pure and good. But in chapter three, sin changes everything. I guess my big question is are we supposed to live like Adam and Eve before or after the Fall? I can't figure this out, and I'm praying the Truth in these stories will reveal itself later on. Marriage and relationships and love and all that are very important to me. If you read my first post you'll remember that these aspects are a huge motivator in me reading the Bible in the first place, so learning what God wants of me as a woman, a wife, and a mother is a huge deal.

*****

I'd love to know your interpretations of these stories. What do chapters two and three of Genesis say about marriage and relationships, about gender roles to you? What impact does the Fall have on us today? What lessons have you learned from these stories? Do you have any guidance to help others understand God's message?

No comments:

Post a Comment