Thursday, April 2, 2015

Genesis 29 & Why I wish I'd known about it when I was 17

Genesis 29 might just be my favorite chapter in the Bible to date, and it's main star, Leah, has become my absolute favorite person of the Bible. Here's what happens.
Jacob makes it to Paddan Aram and ends up meeting this beautiful girl, Rachel. Come to find out, Rachel is his cousin, and she takes Jacob to her father, Laban, who is also Rebekah's brother. Laban is ecstatic to see Jacob, and he is happy to give away his daughter for marriage. The catch: Jacob has to work for him for seven years first. So Jacob works those seven years because he's, like, madly in love with Rachel and wants to marry her so, so bad. 
Well, on the wedding night, Jacob ends up marrying Leah instead of Rachel. Leah is Rachel's older sister, but she's not near as beautiful as Rachel. I'm under the impression that she's kinda homely and plain. After Jacob realizes he's married the wrong girl, he's pretty irritated and let's Laban know about it.
Laban explains that in his culture, it's not customary for the younger daughter to marry before the older daughter. (Honestly, I'm not sure how true this is. Seems to me like Laban knew Leah would never find a mate so he took advantage of Jacob to get her married off. But whatever, I don't think it's that big of a deal. End of the day, Jacob has to marry Leah before he can get his beloved Rachel.) Apparently the wedding festivities last for a week, so Laban tells Jacob to just get through the week then he'll give him Rachel as well. Jacob gets through the week and gets Rachel, too, but he also has to work for another seven years. 
So now Jacob has two wives, and he clearly favors Rachel over Leah. He adores Rachel and gives her all his attention, so Leah is obviously left out and feels incredibly unloved. But God has a plan, and He has Leah be a super fertile Myrtle, and Rachel can't conceive. Leah has three boys, and after each birth she is convinced that Jacob will love her. But he never does. After giving birth to her fourth son, Leah finally says, "This time I will praise the Lord." (Ge 29:35) And after that, she stops having children.
Leah is awesome, y'all. I love her. And she's so relevant to literally everything. How many of us can say we have cared deeply for another person only to have none of our love reciprocated? All of us. I don't think there is a single person on this planet who can say they've never been rejected. The biggest lesson I can take away from Leah is that we solely need to base our worth on the love God has for us. His love is all that we need, and His love is the only love that can truly make us feel full.

How I wish I knew about this chapter of the Bible in high school! I dated a guy during my last two years of high school and my first year of college, and I loved him. He was my first love. But, y'all, he sucked! He put me through pain. He brought out the worst in me - jealousy, anger, hatred, feelings of unworthiness. He did not appreciate me at all. But still, I stayed with him for over two years, and I allowed him to control me. I was so similar to Leah in that I loved somebody only to have him devalue me and give me far less than what I gave to him. I was so vastly under appreciated.

Had I read Genesis 29 when I was 17, I probably would have never gotten in so deep with a loser guy who didn't deserve me. I probably could have spared myself a lot of heartache. I probably would have had a way better first year of college. But you know, everything happens for a reason, and despite all the negatives, I still learned a thing or two from that toxic relationship. But what can I do now that I know about Genesis 29? I can share it with my future children. If I, God willing, have a daughter, I'll be able to help her through those difficult teenage loves. I'll be able to show her proof that God has all the love we need, and as long as we praise Him, we will feel full.

Genesis 29 really spoke to me; the plot is relevant, and the lesson is powerful. I feel beyond blessed to know this chapter of the Bible now and what it has to offer all of us. Glory, glory!

*****

Share with me a chapter of the Bible that really speaks to you. Why does it stand out in your eyes? 

Tell me about a time when you were under appreciated, and more importantly, tell me about the moment you realized you deserved more and moved on. I'll tell you, there's nothing better than the liberation you feel when you realize your worth!

No comments:

Post a Comment